Unbelievably another year has passed and so once again we are examining Quentin’s Montessori space.
We have noticed some big changes in the last few months and because of that we have decide to completely revamp his space in preparation for him entering into what Montessori described as the Second Plane of Development.
I’ll write a post on that in the upcoming days but I want to give you a sneak peek at some of the things on his shelves as he heads into 5 years old.
These were his shelves at this time last year, as he was about to turn 4. You can read about the details here.
These are some of the things on his shelves now.
It’s really fascinating to me to see the evolution of the materials, especially this last year. Many of the materials have remained the same but have evolved in difficulty. As a Montessori child gets older this is the norm. In infancy, materials are mastered quickly and new materials must be rotated in often. As the child develops, the materials remain longer and longer on the shelves and it is simply the way in which the child works with them that changes.
Top Row left-right:
- Nature Study materials (you can find all our Nature Study posts here)
- Flags of the World puzzle & geography work (purchased here)
- Landforms Geography Mat (purchased here)
Middle Row left-right:
- Time telling clock cards (purchased here)
- Our Nature Table with some of this month’s materials (purchased here)
- DIY Stamp Game (he’s now doing dynamic addition)
Last Row left-right
- Montessori Green Series Language cards (purchased here)
- Montessori paper Moveable Alphabet (purchased here)
- Primary writing journal (purchased here)
These are only a few of the things that hold Quentin’s interest. He has many open ended items as well, some of which can be seen in this post about our home. He also loves spending time outside.
As we prepare for him to take his fifth walk around the sun we are mindful of how this space has stayed the same over all these years and now, how it must change for a boy who is growing and it would seem is entering the Second Plane.
One Reply to “Our Montessori Shelves: 5 years old”
Love this, so inspiring❤️